Image HTML map generator

23 May 2018

Both Fierce and Tender: Insights from A New Marian Feast

I can be a bit of a loud person. Growing up, I never loved activities that required me to be sitting down. I was always on the move. I am a big feeler and an even larger verbal processor.

I have sometimes struggled with messages in the Church or from other people that to be female, to be a woman means you have to act a certain way. More specifically, that women are supposed to be mild mannered, gentle, tender, quiet. etc. That somehow quietness is better. 

It is almost as if sometimes there is an attitude that particular traits of women are more honored or recognized than others. (Now please don't hear this as a slam or negativity to women who are more quiet or even introverted).

I have often noticed this in the ways our Blessed Mother is talked about. Looking back on my life as a Catholic, I feel the majority of homilies I heard or talks on Mary often were connected back certain traits: her meekness, gentleness, tenderness, etc.

Now there is nothing necessarily wrong with those traits, in some ways I would use those words to describe myself at varying times.

When I think of Mary, I do think of words like tender or gentle (sometimes).

But those are not the only words that come to mind.

I think Mary was brave and courageous. I think she was fierce, and even a strong force in her own way.

Was Mary an introvert or extrovert? Honestly, we'll probably never know this side of Heaven. I like to think she was a mixture of both, and that she was a variety of traits.


There is no one way to be a woman, to be feminine.
It is not a one size fits all.

And similarly, I think there are many words we can use to describe Our Lady.
On this first celebration of a new Marian feast, Pope Francis said in his Monday morning homily:

"The Church is feminine. When this trait is lacking, the Church merely resembles a charitable organization, or a football team; when it is a masculine Church, it sadly becomes a church of old bachelors, incapable of love, incapable of fruitfulness."

And later on:

"The Church is feminine, because it is church and bride: it is feminine. And it is with this attitude that comes from Mary, who is Mother of the Church, with this attitude we can understand this feminine dimension of the Church."

I love hearing the Holy Father speak of this important, dynamic feminine nature of the Church. It needs to be explained and taught more.


To be a woman, to be feminine is not summed up in just a particular phrase or certain words.

Women can be both fierce and tender-hearted, both gentle and passionate. both quiet and spirit-filled.

Here a few places I am finding peace and growth in my understanding what it means to be a woman, to be feminine:
-Edith Stein
-FemCatholic
-The Catholic Feminist Podcast



What are ideas or people helping you understand your role in the Church as a woman? Who is teaching your heart right now and stretching you in your spirit?



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10