Image HTML map generator

19 August 2018

Where to Go From Here? Action, Repentance, Prayer, and Fasting

What an awful, terrible week it has been.

I am trying to pray about all the evil and brokenness coming out of the recent sex abuse scandals in the Church. But honestly it is really hard for me right now.

I alternate between rage and weeping. I have yelled and hollered at Jesus. 

I was only 16 when the scandal in Boston broke in 2002. While I didn't fully understand what it meant, I knew it was very, very bad. 

Now I am older, an adult Catholic practicing the faith. 
I have a more holistic, healthy spirituality and relationship with God.


But I, like so many Catholics, am very much struggling with horrific stories I have learned over the past few weeks at the lack of leadership.

All of this has rattled me and I am wrestling with it all.
Amid trying to pray and fast, I have taken to writing letters and calling offices of bishops and the USCCB. 

As the reality of what needs to change grows stronger, I want to share with you a few articles I have found helpful as I try to process it all. Also included are phone numbers to contact to express your voice demanding justice for the crimes committed.

Articles:

An Open Letter from Young Catholics 

A Letter to my Bishop and A Letter to my Parish Priest by Molly Walter

What Can *WE* Do About the Abuse Crisis? by Haley Stewart

Dear Catholic bishops: This is not the time to play defense by Katie Prejean McGrady

The Church And Clergy In Crisis: 7 Practical First Steps We Must Take by Elizabeth Scalia 

An open letter to my Roman Catholic friends by Jeffrey Salkin 


Action:

You can contact the Archdiocese of Washington if you desire to ask for the resignation of Cardinal Wuerl. I plan to be making a phone call this week.


You can also call the USCCB at 202-541-3000. 



There is also a concentrated prayer and fasting effort organized by Catholic women through the internet. More on that as it goes live tomorrow...


Jesus, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Help us rid the rot of evil that has hidden for far too long.




1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for your words and the resources, Patty! I find it so powerful that this crisis is breaking loose during a time when our Sunday Gospel readings have been drawn from John 6 (what a great reminder about why we're Catholic!) AND that it's happening in a month when we have some prominent Marian feast days. Our pastor has been very good about encouraging us to ask Mary's intercession in this whole mess, and even led the entire congregation in a Hail Mary together at the end of Mass on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete

09 10