Image HTML map generator

30 November 2020

Jesus, Help Me Be a Good Simon

I recently shared that my Dad is dying. Our family is navigating the painful reality of watching my Dad slowly decline of a disease similar to ALS.

For the last few months, my siblings and I take turns helping care for my Dad on the days my Mom is working. It is equal parts sacred and sad.

Several weeks ago, I began to pray a short prayer as I drove to my folks house on the days I would help care for Dad.


Jesus, help me be a good Simon.



Simon of Cyrene, the man we know little to nothing about from Scripture. We know he was in Jerusalem for the celebration of Passover. We know he was with his two sons Rufus and Alexander. We know he was chosen at random, an innocent bystander, to help Jesus carry his cross on the way to Calvary.

A man we do not know much about, and yet, he played such an important role in the final hours f the life of Jesus.

I have thought a lot of about Simon over the last few months as Dad's health declines and he is able to do less and less for himself. 

In what is hard, painful, and scary in watching my Dad suffer, I can ask Jesus to help me be a good Simon to my Dad during his own passion and suffering.


I am Simon when I help my Dad wash his beard and hair because he struggles with bathing himself more. 
I am Simon when make sure Dad has all his medicines and daily pills.
I am Simon when I validate his feelings and emotions when he is struggling and feeling overwhelmed.
I am Simon when I help Dad get up from his chair, pick him up from PT, or help him put on his compression socks.

I am Simon whenever I show up to be with Dad in his physical and spiritual suffering.



Jesus, help me be a good Simon.



I don't when or what propelled me to start praying this prayer on my way to go visit or help care for my Dad. However, it just seems to fit.


Like Simon, I have no control over the situation regarding my Dad's health and rapid decline. Simon had little say in the matter of being pressed into service carrying the cross for Jesus.

Yet it was in this random chance surprise of encountering the suffering Christ, I like to think Simon was radically changed by helping Jesus carry the cross.

Similarly, I believe that I am being changed by being a Simon of Cyrene to my Dad in his own suffering.

While this is sad and hard at times, it is also beautiful and sacred.


Walking this journey of suffering and death with my Dad reminds me how little control I have of the situations around me and outside of my own experience.
Even though some days it is scary and overwhelming, I know God is near and present.


So no matter how long the time is left I have with my Dad, the prayer most frequently on my lips is, Jesus help me be a good Simon.



post signature

4 comments:

  1. Patty, I have a feeling you are being a fantastic, loving and devoted Simon. Tears, smiles and the whole range of emotions. Your mom and dad are blessed beyond measure. I will keep all of your family in my daily prayers. Joanne Moening

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. Oh Mrs. Moening, this brings tears to my eyes. Thanks for sending me this little note brings a bit of brightness as I start the day. I cannot tell you how much the prayers mean to me and our whole family. Sending you a big hug!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

09 10