Image HTML map generator

05 April 2019

When Jesus Tells You More Needs to Die

Friends, it has been a Lenty Lent.

In more ways than one.


I am working through my feelings and thoughts from a recent break-up.

I look at the calendar and realize today, April 5, will be three years since my divorce was finalized. 

Several weeks ago, I saw my former husband for the first time since the day of our divorce.

On top of all this, Jesus has made it very clear to me that there are more things inside of me that still need to die. Ouch, Lord.

Let me explain.
In the middle of March, my Mom and I went to a night of prophetic prayer ministry at a local parish. Upon sitting down and looking around, I realized my former husband was also present. The last time I have seen him was at court for the finalization of our divorce.

Instantly I felt anxious and afraid. I wanted to flee the scene, but I didn't want to run away because we saw him.

So we stayed. 
The worship team began to play the song "Reckless Love."

Tears started running down my face. 
My heart tensed up, Why is HE here? He shouldn't be here. He doesn't deserve to be here. Right away, I could feel the anger and bitterness seeping in. In the moment, I acknowledged it to Jesus, reminding myself my ex husband is just as beloved by the Father as I am.

The night went on. 

My mom and I were each prayer over. The prophecy's spoken over me were accurate and very true to some things in my life. God was present. He showed up in His kindness and love.

Over the next few days in prayer, I kept asking Jesus, Why now? Why did I have to run into him now during Lent, right after a breakup with a good man? Why did this happen now?

The answer I heard in my heart?

Because there are still some things that need to die inside of you.


I was frustrated, even a little angry by that response. And to be honest, it caught me off guard. Over the last few years, I have had a lot things die. I have grown through it all and done a lot healing work. 

So hesitantly, I leaned in closer. Deep breath.
Okay Jesus, what are these things that still need to die inside of me?

The Lord is slowly and gently revealing what needs to be dealt with:
  • a deeper forgiveness of my former husband so the next time I see him I could actually approach him or speak to him in kindness, forgive and bless him. That my heart would not react in bitterness or resentment.
  • grieving and giving to Jesus the expectations of how I thought my life would look by this point in life.
  • Acknowledging that I do not trust the Lord very well, especially with the desires of my heart. Specifically how do I just give him those trusting in a bigger, deeper plan I cannot understand.
Slowly, He is speaking. I need to continue to be still and ask the Lord what He has to say about each of those things.

It is hard. 
And messy.
And a little overwhelming at times.

But I keep praying Jesus help me and asking the Lord for His perspective on what is coming up inside of me.

I am not sure exactly what will come about for me at Easter or what the next six months or years hold for my life.

But maybe I am finally beginning to realize my life is not my own, I cannot see the future. I don't have control over every single area or situation in my life.

I am fairly certain I will need the reminders again, but I wholeheartedly want to use this time, this season to work through these things in my life the Lord doesn't want me dragging around.

I am pressing in close, reminding myself the whole of life is full of both deaths and resurrections.

Growth will come.
New life will come. 
It will come for me.
It will come for you too.

My life is not my own.

And even if the story looks radically different than I ever imagined, I know He has a plan for me.




If you are looking for a way to pray and celebrate the Easter season, Blessed is She has just released Risen: 50 Ways to Live Easter. It is a simple book to be used each day of the Easter season. It has a short Scripture, reflection question, and a simple action item to help you live and celebrate Easter.

You can order it here.
post signature

7 comments:

  1. Oh Patty, this is so powerful! Thank you for so vulnerably sharing your story with all of us. God's mercy and goodness is unfathomable, and this is such a good reminder of our need to rely on him totally and completely-because we always have progress we can be making towards greater healing and holiness. I've been thinking a lot about how last year at this time, there were some very dark and difficult things I was going through, and praise God, getting into a period of counselling helped immensely. And I've thought about how since I finished that segment of counselling, I'm in a much better place-but right as Lent kicked off, God really opened my eyes to the fact that there was (and is) still work to be done, which was a painful realization...but so good for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. Patty, thank you so much for this post! My life looks nothing like I had planned and I am getting several "time to grow some more" messages loud and clear as well. I am starting to see and appreciate the gifts in my life, but it's been a long road. Primarily because I am so stubborn in letting go of what I think is right and letting Jesus and the Holy Spirit take the lead. I will pray for both of us this morning that our trust in our Lord's love and mercy will increase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand you. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to use this opportunity to say a very big thanks to a great spell caster called Dr.Azaka brought back my happiness back again, by bringing back my ex lover back to me after many months of breakup and loneliness. With this i am convinced that you are sent to this word to rescue people from heartbreak and also the solution to every relationship problem. for those of you out there who have one relationship problem or the other why not contact Dr.Azaka on his email: Azakaspelltemple4@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. A little while ago my boyfriend and I broke up, I was devastated, I went online and found some testimonies about a love caster Dr Fayosa who had helped some people bring their lovers back to them, I thought it was a scam at first but after reading up more about it, I decided to try it out, I contacted Dr Fayosa to help me reunite my ex boyfriend and me and he told me that I should wait for my boyfriend to come back to me within 48hrs after the spell has be done, The next day my boyfriend texted me begging me to take him back, Now we are back together and we are happy again, If I didn’t see those testimonies, I would never have known something like this was possible, That’s why I decided to share my testimony so that someone else who needs this can contact him also No fear of, scam or anything, contact him through Email: Fayosasolusionhome@gmail.com or Whatsapp +2348151918774

    ReplyDelete

09 10