Image HTML map generator

28 March 2019

5 Habits Changing My Life For the Better

I have often been very proud of myself that I tend to be the type of woman that is a doer, the one who always gets things done. 

A list maker and goal setter, I am always moving and planning for the next step.

I am currently working through a breakup, along with acknowledging some messy, sensitive area's of my life with the Lord that need to die. So basically it is a very Lenty Lent.

Slowly, I am finding a new rhythm. I have made some new female friends and am taking time to reconnect with others.

Part of this grieving, healing, and growing process of this season are making time for healthy habits that are life-giving and good for me.


1. Waking up at the same time (for me that is early)
I have been an early riser for the longest time. My goal is everyday to be up at 5am. In all honesty, the last two weeks it has been hit or miss, but it is all about progress not perfection.

After my feet hit the floor, I will wrap up in my robe and head to the coffee maker to get a hot cup of caffeine in my system. While I drink my coffee, sometimes I will look out the window to see the sun rise. Then I head over to my cozy chair for some prayer, reading my Bible, or writing in my journal a bit.

Waking up the same time everyday is a discipline that helps me make sure I am taking care of myself.


2. Peaceful morning routine
I like a slow start morning. I know I need to make time to fuel my soul as I start the day.

My favorite way to start the morning is staying in my jammies, reading a good book or my Bible, and drinking several mugs of strong coffee.

Ideally, I try to have some time for prayer and exercise daily.


3. Block schedule my Time
I learning how blocking my time for certain things helps me use that amount of time more intentionally.

I have started doing this for different writing projects, cleaning or tidying up, my daily social media use, and even brainstorming for new projects or ideas. Setting timers on my phone for these and other daily tasks is a really helpful tool in making sure I am getting done what needs to get done.


4. Set daily times for social media
I remember a time when I could not imagine not having the Facebook app on my phone. I really couldn't imagine deleting it. I know, lame right? Needless to say I am doing just fine with not having it on my phone anymore.

Overall, I think I have a pretty healthy relationship with social media (though I could unsubscribe from a few podcasts).

I only go on Facebook one time a day, usually no more than 30 minutes. I try to give myself one big chunk on Instagram: watch stories, engage with followers, or share pictures.


5. Write down in my planner the days I will exercise 
Like each of these, I do not follow them perfectly. 

Typically on Sunday afternoon, I sit down with my planner for the coming week to look at what is coming up. A part of that is looking for which days I can make time to take an exercise class and get some cardio/strength training in.

Looking back on those checkmarks from the days I exercise encourages me and makes me feel good about myself.


Even the smallest habits can lead to a big difference in your day and how you feel about yourself.

What are the habits you cling to in your week? 
What habits or healthy choices are making your life better?



post signature

1 comment:

  1. These are such good ideas! I really want to try the "wake up at the same time every day" at least on the weekdays (for me that's 5:30), but typically I only pull myself out of bed at that time on the two days a week when I go to the coffee shop before Jacob goes to the office. When I'm exhausted, it's hard to think rationally when that alarm goes off and to get out of bed! I really want to do better, because everytime I get up early the entire day just flows so much better.

    I'm intrigued by the block scheduling-that does sound like it could be a good way to get things done and be intentional. I really only do that regarding my writing time, but now I kind of want to try it out in other areas. How do you go about block scheduling-do you just pick a few chunks to do certain things, or do you try to schedule your whole day in this way?

    ReplyDelete

09 10