Image HTML map generator

03 October 2018

Retreating, Writing, & Seeing my Reflection in Jesus

This past weekend I went to Arizona for a team retreat with all the writers from Blessed is She. The last two years we've met in Minnesota, but this year sprung for a Southwest location so more of our west coast writers could come.

While it was over 100 degrees the entire weekend, our days together were filled with sharing, praying together, laughter, great food, and time to be together as a sisterhood. 

I am so grateful to be a part of this team, and for the gift of these women in my life.





One of the things we were asked to do in preparation for our team retreat was to come up with writing goals.

I know I keep saying I want to have a better rhythm of writing here, but I keep struggling with actually making it happen. There is something of me that is drawn to blogging even if it is not as popular these days.

I have had some new freelance writing opportunities come into my lap, one which includes becoming regular contributor for Verily. I am so excited to be a regular contributor and have been eagerly following Verily since it launched.

One of the best things from the weekend in Arizona was the writing workshop led by our managing editor, Nell

She posted our first devotion each of us ever wrote for Blessed is She (almost four years to the date!) and our most recent one. Then, we were given some things to think about and compare our writing from the beginning to our writing in the present.

I almost burst out laughing. You know what I wrote about in my first devo?

William Wallace yelling, "FREEDOM!" before he is killed. And you know what? 
I don't even like the movie nor I have seen it in its entirety. 

It really got me thinking about the authenticity in my writing voice for Blessed is She, but also how it has shifted personally. 

I shared in the large group after this exercise, that at 33 years old I am more free and whole than at any other time in my life. And because of those things I think it has opened up greater authenticity in my own life, through my writing and in sharing personally.

It left me thinking how I really want to craft my skills to become a better, more effective writer.

One of the best parts of the retreat was when we had Eucharistic Adoration after the Vigil Mass. Fr. Parks did a procession and brought Jesus to each of us individually. A friend took this picture, I'm the one with my hands opened.


Isn't that just beautiful?

When Fr. Parks brought Jesus to me, I saw in the gold of the monstrance a reflection of my eyes. I saw my reflection in Jesus and my reflection was in Jesus. 

It was such a sweet moment with the Lord and left me feeling like jelly on the inside.

I came home a little more tired physically (hello 3 hour time difference!) but refreshed spiritually from time with the Lord and renewed after time with my sisters.


The next month or two will be pretty busy around here: my second marathon, some work functions, and two speaking events in our local diocese.

So as life picks up, I am glad I had this past weekend to rest and return back to renewed for all that is ahead.


What is new and exciting in your life these days? :)


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10