Image HTML map generator

22 May 2015

Free to be Me

It's time to start a revolution...time to set beauty free.
It's time to walk run away from the 'skinny-ish vs. fat-ish wars'


A healthy image of beauty has been sabotaged by images of photo-shopped models and diet food ads galore. Beauty is now defined by completely unrealistic expectations. As women, I think many of us (me included!) can struggle with putting unrealistic expectations on ourselves, sometimes to the point of total frustration or mental exhaustion. But when an entire culture bombards and constantly tells you are never enough the way you are? Well that can wear down your spirit and rob your joy something fierce.

I think one of the hardest, difficult, and most life-giving lessons I am learning in life is how to accept myself and love me just the way I am. It is a process for sure, some days are easier than others. I am learning not to use food to deal with my emotions but rather journal my feelings. I am taking so much better care of my body physically by running and training for a half marathon.  I am slowly ditching the negative self talk that used to be a mindless tract running through my brain.

Every day I have reminders on my phone for me to stop and pray throughout the day; sometimes I am just silent and other times I will say a prayer out loud. Over the last year I have been saying this one daily: "Jesus help me to see and love myself the way You do." Of course I am not advocating prayer as a magic cure-all for body image related issues. But ya know what? More than any other time in my life, I have really truly begun to believe that to the depth of my core. I am slowly learning to love the skin I am in.

I am free to be me.


post signature

3 comments:

  1. Loving this wonderful and important message...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is SO much freedom in being able to view ourselves as Christ sees us! What a great prayer. Thanks for linking up with Blessed is She, Patty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phone reminders are such a great idea! One of these days I'll figure out how to make those work... I bet it'd revolutionize my prayer life!

    ReplyDelete

09 10