Image HTML map generator

19 March 2021

Why We Need Merton (More than Ever)

One of the things I most loved about graduate school at our local seminary were all the new spiritual writers and thinkers I encountered.

I had several professors that opened my eyes to new ideas and gave me me deeper understanding and reflection of my beliefs.

It was in my history of Christian spirituality class I first heard of a man named Thomas Merton. I had never heard of this Oxford studied writer turned Trappist monk. We spent one class on getting to know Merton. My professor gave us his basic biography and we read some passages of his work. 

It was several years later that I eagerly dove into the writings of Thomas Merton and quickly went on a journey of spiritual friendship, learning much from this gifted soul.



I do not know what propelled me to take a second look at Merton. I do remember flying home from somewhere and reading this book which is what drew me in. What I liked about this book is that it was a sampling of his writing from many different published works. 

From there I devoured everything I could that Merton had written. To this day, my favorite books of his are New Seeds of Contemplation and No Man Is an Island. I think those are one of two great places to start.

Since that plane ride several years ago, Thomas Merton has become one of the most influential spiritual writers and teachers to me in my own personal faith journey.

Now, you might be reading and thinking, "That's great Patty! Good for you girlfriend."

I promise to get off my Merton soapbox, but the reason I share this with you is because now more than ever our culture and the world need the words, teaching, and perspective of Thomas Merton.

Why?

I have noticed a growing trend among my friends, acquaintances, and people I follow on social media, many Christians and Catholics are going through a personal deconstruction of their long-held religious tradition of Christianity or Catholicism. A more recent well-known example is that of Audrey Assad. 

For many varied and often good reasons, people choose to let go of the spiritual and religious beliefs they grew up with. I share some of the similar frustrations of things I see in the Church these days. I can understand and hold space in my heart for the pain, hurt, and frustration people feel towards the Church. I find myself fascinated with learning about and understanding a person's perspective on what would lead them to leave and choose a new spiritual path for themselves.

As the world becomes more secular and the population of  "nones" rapidly grows, we see that people in the culture are spiritually seeking in many ways. From what I can see and understand, they desire truth, peace, life-giving spiritual practices, a community to call home and find support. They seek the good and beautiful and work for justice.

I think spiritual teachers like Thomas Merton can speak to the heart of a seeker in an authentic way that allows a person to wrestle with God while come to draw closer. Even if a person never converts or returns to the faith they have always known, the example of Thomas Merton is one of pastoral care, compassion, listening, and vulnerability.

Regardless of whether a person belongs to a spiritual or religious tradition, we all are on a spiritual journey. It is the journey of a lifetime to come to know more fully who we are and experience the Divine living and breathing in us.

Merton speaks to the tired, weary, and burnt out heart. His own religious wandering and restlessness brought him to the doors of a Trappist monastery; which for him, became a home for his own searching heart.


In 2021, Merton is the spiritual teacher we need to rediscover and learn from.


Merton teaches us ...

How to listen well and accompany people where life finds them.

To ask deep questions about ourselves, God, spirituality, and religion.

To dialogue and learn from people of other faiths.

How to wrestle with God while letting ourselves be found by God.

God is much bigger and deeper than what we construct or imagine.

God can be known and personally experienced.

There is room for questions.

How to be a life-long spiritual learner.


As a Catholic, if the Church hopes to be relevant and speak to the depths of people's longing, we need to return to voices that can help meet hearts right where they are.


For me, Thomas Merton is and remains one of those voices.



+

Thomas Merton, pray for the nones. Pray for the hearts of all spiritual seekers looking for God.
May we be the people to meet them love them right where life finds them.

+


post signature

1 comment:

  1. OK, this so timely it's kind of freaky (Holy Spirit timing!), and I'm gonna have to send some Thomas Merton over to someone I know...and I really need to read more by him, I think I've only read a couple things (his book on the desert fathers, and his spiritual autobiography, both of which were awesome).

    ReplyDelete

09 10