Image HTML map generator

23 April 2020

The Power in a Purple Dress

On Easter, I dressed up and wore a beautiful purple dress.

It was comfortable, had pockets, and fit me like a glove. I decided to dress up especially for Easter this year even if I was going to be physically alone and not see my family.


You see, my purple dress means something very important to me.


This month was four years since my divorce, April 5, 2016.
It is certainly not a day to celebrate, but it is a date that represents something important to me.


This day in my life is an example of the sacred tension where grace and suffering meet. A day filled with incredible loss and sadness, but a day equally filled with hope and newness.

That's where the story of my purple dress begins.


After I left the courthouse with my mom, she decided we would spend the whole afternoon together. We went shopping at Home Goods and Nordstrom Rack, laughed and cried, and she bought me a stunning purple dress.

This wonky sunlight is not helping me become a fashion blogger.

Later that evening, my brother, sister, and BIL took me out for a delicious dinner at a fancy restaurant. It was by no means a celebration of my divorce, but a way for them to support and love me on this very difficult day.

I remember going to the bathroom and catching my reflection in the mirror after I washed my hands. I smiled at what I saw, grateful I said yes to this dress and hopeful of what it represented in this new life for me.

The night was perfect. My brother made sure we ordered and ate all of the 15 appetizers on the menu. I even swallowed the fish eyeball from the cooked trout.
We ate yummy food, laughed, and drank too much wine.


I hadn't thought about that purple dress until I recently tried it on again, cleaning out my closet for the warmer months ahead.



It might sound silly, but as I look back that purple dress represented a new chapter in my life, new beginnings.

While I looked and felt great in this piece of clothing, it did something to my spirit. It became a representation of where my life was going, even if I didn't know all the twists and turns in this new season.


Purple was the new Patty, a different and stronger version.


Life has been good to me since that day, as well as difficult and hard.


We are living in weird and crazy times right now. 

Do you have something in your life that is the equivalent to my purple dress? It points to a stronger, more whole version of yourself. 

Does it bring hope or new perspective in these times?


There is still a lot of meaning for me in that purple dress.

I hope you find a purple dress in your life too. :)


post signature

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

09 10