Image HTML map generator

22 July 2019

Saying Goodbye Just Sucks

This summer has been wonderful in many ways.

But there has been one sting that feels messy and hard right now.

My Dad's oldest living sister Carolyn (AC to my siblings and I) was told her chemo for ovarian cancer was no longer working. The last weekend in June she was told she had weeks to live. On July 13 she peacefully died in hospice with her husband, my Uncle Bob by her side.


The almost two weeks we had left with her were spent visiting her in hospice, slowly watching her body decline. As a family we shared the Eucharist at Mass while she was anointed. She and my uncle renewed their wedding vows. We shared memories and laughed while we said our personal goodbyes to her.

After her wake on Wednesday, I went out with family members to a dive bar for beers and burgers to celebrate a life well lived. My Dad's favorite childhood cousins from Boston who flew in for the funeral also came. We laughed, shared memories, and were just together in a hard time.

Her funeral Mass on Thursday was beautiful. 

My Dad gave such a tender homily. Choked up the whole time, he got through the Gospel and what he wanted to share. As he ended, he shared with all gathered that the living memorial to Carolyn is how we live our lives and emulate the traits she so passionately lived. 

Gently patting her casket, he whispered, "And Carolyn, like you you always told us those final weeks, I'll see you when I see you."

The bagpiper played Amazing Grace as we watched her casket leave the church. Watching my Dad incense her casket for the final journey was one of the most surreal things I have witnessed in my life.


In the few days since her wake and funeral last Wednesday and Thursday, I am realizing how much of a void there is without her. 

Saying goodbye just sucks. 
The finality of death is really hitting me.

I cannot call or text her anymore. I won't hear AC call me by my nickname "Patsy-kline." She will never plan another holiday party or family get together. She will never see me get remarried.

It is just weird. 
Growing up, AC seemed invincible to me and yet she is gone from this earthly life.

The loss of my beloved aunt is making very real to me that someday my siblings and I will have to do the same thing for my parents, for each other. In a sense, that adds a unique level to missing her.

Perhaps (in a slightly selfish way) it reminds me that right now there is not that person to share life with for me. I cannot imagine the huge loss my uncle feels going to an empty house without his best friend.

I know my Dad is having a hard time. He and AC were very close, and in a deep way he feels her absence.

We all do and it is just hard.


While the sad feelings feel uncomfortable, I am so grateful for the message of hope our faith is. In the Rite of Christian Burial it says, "life has changed, not ended."

In my heart of hearts, I know this is truth. I believe it.
But of course in the present it still sucks.


I look forward to the day I can hug AC in Heaven.

And until then, I am praying for her and asking her to pray for me and my future (whatever it holds).


The last text message exchange we shared was in March and I was telling her about breaking up with a good man. In her typical AC fashion, she was both validating and giving me advice. 

The last thing she texted me was, "Patty, there is a life with a good man for you. It will come to you."


I am cherishing a lifetime of beautiful memories and asking AC to get on the job of praying for my future.

I believe I will see her again.

But until that day ...

AC - I will see you when I see you. 


post signature

5 comments:

  1. Oh Patty, I am so sorry for your loss. I will be keeping you and your family in my prayers as you navigate this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to use this opportunity to share the good works of Dr. Odunga who brought my husband back to me from another woman in 2 days. His email is odungaspelltemple@gmail.com and his WhatsApp contact is +2348167159012.

    The day my husband left me, things appeared bleak, and the atmosphere was heavy with uncertainties. Everything seemed pale and so I decided to look for help in spell casters who have the capability to bring my ex husband back to me. As envisaged, I went on the internet and as you too have seen in your search for a reliable spell caster, I saw a lot of testimonies of spell casters in the recovery of ex husbands and loved ones. Driven by belief in Doctor Odunga, I contacted him and after explaining things to him, he accepted to face the challenges on ground. He did brilliantly well. My ex husband came back to me within 2 days of contact with more care and affection and promised never to leave me. I will therefore like to take this opportunity to pay tribute to him and share this testimony to enable others in need to contact him for his selfless service to situations and problems. Commendable, he shows great courage at taking on the daunting task of finding solutions to practically any given problem. Contact him at odungaspelltemple@gmail.com and I believe he will help you as he did to me. Visit website at
    http://spelltempleofsolution.blogspot.com/2020/04/love-spells-guaranteed-100-trusted.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. BUY CDC COVID-19 REGISTERED VACCINATION RECORD CARD AT +1 (901) 878-9747

    BUY CDC COVID-19 VACCINATION RECORD CARD
    BUY CANADIAN DIGITAL COVID-19 CERTIFICATE
    without taking the vaccine BUY CDC COVID-19 REGISTERED VACCINATION RECORD CARD AT WhatsApp: +1 (901) 878-9747
    Buy Bulk COVID Self-Tests for At-Home Use EU Digital COVID passport EU Digital COVID passport Buy covid-19 test kits at home at lower prices home covid-19 testing kits Buy FDA-authorized home collection kits for rapid covid-19 home test at $100 buy DxTerity COVID-19 Saliva At-Home Collection Kit at$100 Buy Everlywell COVID-19 Test Home Collection Kit at $105 Buy Pixel by Labcorp COVID-19 PCR Test Home Collection Kit at $120 Buy BinaxNOW COVID-19 Antigen Self Test at $50 BUY CANADIAN DIGITAL COVID-19 CERTIFICATE without taking the vaccine Buy Covid-19 Vaccine Certificate without Vaccine WhatsApp: Purchase COVID vaccine passports in Australia, Buy coronavirus vaccine passport in UK
    Purchase COVID vaccine passports in Australia, Buy coronavirus vaccine passport in UK
    com BUY CANADIAN DIGITAL COVID-19 CERTIFICATE
    buy CDC COVID-19 VAX CARD buy eu digital covid-19certificate italy without taking the vaccine buy eu digital covid-19certificate spain without taking the vaccine buy eu digital covid-19certificate polan without taking the vaccine buy eu digital covid-19certificate germany without taking the vaccine buy digital covid-19 certificate Australia without taking the vaccine WhatsApp: +1 (901) 878-9747
    BUY EU Digital Covid Certificate without taking the toxic vaccine The green pass will be required for anyone aged 12 and over and, at the moment, Italy’s digital health certificate is only available to BUY CANADIAN DIGITAL COVID-19 CERTIFICATE people who were vaccinated, tested or recovered in Italy. BUY EU Digital Covid Certificate Buy covid-19 vaccine record card online, for now, the best way to show that you have been inoculated against the corona virus is a simple white card #Buy covid-19 vaccination card online#
    BUY COVID19 VACCINATION RECORD CARD near me without taking the vaccine BUY COVID19 VACCINATION RECORD CARD BUY COVID19 VACCINATION RECORD CARD BUY CDC COVID-19 CACCINATION RECORD CARD covid19 vaccination card near me BUY CANADIAN DIGITAL COVID-19 CERTIFICATE: backhand_index_pointing_right: CDC COVID Card for USA without taking the vaccine BUY CANADIAN DIGITAL COVID-19 CERTIFICATE without taking the vaccine :backhand_index_pointing_right: NHS COVID Pass for UK without taking the vaccine :backhand_index_pointing_right: Canada COVID Pass without taking the vaccine :backhand_index_pointing_right: Australia Digital COVID Certificate without taking the vaccine :backhand_index_pointing_right: EU Digital COVID Certificate :backhand_index_pointing_right: COVID Card for Ireland Covid19 vaccination records scanned approved BUY CANADIAN DIGITAL COVID-19 CERTIFICATE #BUY COVID19 VACCINATION RECORD CARD# BUY COVID19 VACCINATION RECORD CARD BUY COVID19 VACCINATION RECORD CARD BUY COVID19 VACCINATION RECORD CARD

    ReplyDelete

09 10